Any person who wishes to possess, transport or use a firearm that is not licensed in the state of Western Australia must obtain an appropriate permit prior to entering the state.
The following permits are available:
Temporary Permit (Section 17)
- A fee may apply to a Temporary Permit - this will be determined at the application assessment stage.
- If an applicant intends to use the firearm a fee will be charged and a cheque or Money Order should be forwarded with an application and paid to the ‘Commissioner of Police’. Alternatively a credit card payment may be taken over the phone at the time of processing. The scheduled fee can be found in the Limited Permit Fee section below.
- If an applicant is simply transporting a firearm(s) through the state or to a firearm dealer pending a future Western Australia Firearms Licence Application the scheduled fee will likely be waivered.
Interstate Group Permit (Section 17A)
- The Interstate Group Permit does not usually incur a fee and is designed for use by visiting sporting shooter Clubs and Associations for a short period.
Import Permit (B709)
- Firearms, firearm parts, firearm accessories, replica firearms, ammunition and weapon items all require a B709 Import Permit in order to have these items cleared by Australian Border Force (ABF/Customs).