Licensing Services (Security)

Private security activities within Western Australia are governed by the Security and Related Activities (Control) Act 1996 and the Security and Related Activities (Control) Regulations 1997.

Licensing Services (Security) regulates and manages the security industry and is responsible for:

  • issuing security licences and registrations
  • renewal of security licences and registrations
  • monitoring of security licences and registration holders

Licensing Services (Security) aim to provide the community of Western Australia with confidence in a professional security industry where competency (training), integrity and accountability are provided and maintained at a high standard.

Licensing Update – 4 April 2023

Important Information

Security Licensing is currently experiencing a high volume of applications and wait times are longer than usual.

To ensure you are served same day, it is recommended you attend the Cannington Licensing Office before 12pm.

Should the waiting room be full you may be turned away.

Licensing Update – 5 December 2022

Firearm and Baton Endorsed Security Officers - Change to Training Requirements

Amendments to the Security and Related Activities (Control) Regulations 1997 come into effect on 17 December 2022. These amendments change the frequency with which firearm and baton endorsed Security Officers must complete an approved course in firearms discharge and an approved course in baton use respectively, from at least once every 6 months to at least once every 12 months

Firearm and baton endorsed Security Officers whose training falls due on or after 17 December 2022, will automatically have an additional 6 months added to their training expiry date and a new licence and identification card issued.

Mutual Recognition Based Applications

Mutual Recognition based applications (obtaining a WA licence when you hold an equivalent interstate licence) can only be accepted between the hours of 9am and 12pm, Monday to Friday, at our Cannington Office.

Please ensure you have all required documentation prior to attending the office.

Please note: your interstate licence must be valid for at least 1 month from the date you submit your application at Licensing Services.

Click here for Application for Mutual Recognition

Renewal of Expired Licences

Please note that once a licence has expired, it cannot be renewed. 

A full new application must be submitted with supporting documentation. 

Click here for application forms

Announcement - July 2022

The New National Automatic Mutual Recognition of Occupations Registration (AMR) Scheme

The AMR scheme commenced in Western Australia on 1 July 2022.

All security industry licences issued under the Security and Related Activities (Control) Act 1996 are excluded from automatic mutual recognition.

This scheme has been introduced to enable eligible workers who need to be licensed or registered for their profession or trade, to work temporarily in other states or territories without applying for a local licence or permit, if they are already licensed to perform the same activities in their home state.

Some occupations are currently excluded from the AMR scheme due to significant risks to the health and safety of workers and/or the public. Security industry licences have been deemed to be of significant risk and excluded from the scheme.

However, existing mutual recognition arrangements are still in place for security industry occupations. This process is quick and simple and applicants meeting the requirements are issued the equivalent Western Australian licence the same day the application is lodged at our Cannington office. Please click here for information regarding the existing mutual recognition scheme.

For security licensing queries please call Licensing Services on 1300 171 011.

Licensing Update – 14 April 2022


A reminder that it is a legislative requirement that Security Officer, Security Bodyguard and Crowd Controller licence holders must hold a current first aid certificate in order to perform licensed work. 

Renewals of these licences will not be accepted if a current first aid certificate is not held by the licence holder.

Licensing Update – 13 January 2021


You must advise Licensing Services, at the following email address, of the details of any companies engaged to perform licensed work on behalf of your business:

Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) for Crowd Controllers

It is not a requirement for a person to be RSA trained to apply for or be issued a Crowd Controller's Licence with Licensing Services and this will not change after 1/7/2018. There is no requirement in the Security and Related Activities (Control) Act 1996 for a Crowd Controller to be RSA trained.

The requirement is due to changes to the Liquor Control Regulations 1989 which is not administered by Licensing Services. The change will make it necessary for a Crowd Controller working in licensed premises to be RSA trained. A Crowd Controller who does not work in licensed premises does not need to be RSA trained.

You should direct any further enquiries to Racing, Gaming and Liquor (08 6551 4888) within the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries as they administer the Liquor Control Regulations.

Security Officer and Crowd Controller Licence applicants SAIWA Test

From 1 February 2017, due to amendments to the Security and Related Activities (Control) Regulations 1997, all applicants for Security Officer and/or Crowd Controller Licences, must have successfully completed a written examination based on the content of their training course before submitting their application.

This requirement does not apply to applicants whose licence/s expired within the last 12 months and provide their old training certificates plus a letter from their employer to confirm they have worked in the capacity of a Security Officer and/or Crowd Controller within the past year. It also does not apply to applicants for Security Officer – Control Room/Monitoring Centre only.

Metropolitan Applicants:

The test will be undertaken at the office of the Security Agents Institute of Western Australia (SAIWA). For testing purposes, metropolitan extends south to Mandurah, north to Yanchep and east to Northam.

Please visit the SAIWA website to make test payment and bookings.
Students have 6 months from the date of passing the test to submit their licence application.

Country Applicants:

The test can be taken at the following Regional Police Centres only: Albany, Broome, Bunbury, Exmouth, Geraldton, Kalgoorlie, Karratha, Kununurra and South Hedland. In the first instance, payment must be made on the SAIWA website. Applicants then attend their Regional Police Centre where proof of payment and identification is checked before the test is taken. Contact your Regional Police Centre to book a time to attend to sit the test.

Please visit the SAIWA website to make test payment and bookings.
Students have 6 months from the date of passing the test to submit their licence application.

For all licensing queries call Licensing Services Security on 1300 171 011.

Contact us

Licensing Services:
303 Sevenoaks Street
Cannington WA 6107

Postal Address:
Locked Bag 9
East Perth WA 6892

Tel: 1300 171 011
Email Licensing Services (Security)

Contact your nearest police station

Opening hours:
Monday – Friday, 9:00am - 3:00pm (Closed Public Holidays).