Private security activities within Western Australia are governed by the Security and Related Activities (Control) Act 1996 and the Security and Related Activities (Control) Regulations 1997.

Licensing Services (Security) regulates and manages the security industry and is responsible for:

  • issuing security licences and registrations
  • renewal of security licences and registrations
  • monitoring of security licences and registration holders

Licensing Services (Security) aim to provide the community of Western Australia with confidence in a professional security industry where competency (training), integrity and accountability are provided and maintained at a high standard.


Licensing Update – 14 April 2022


A reminder that it is a legislative requirement that Security Officer, Security Bodyguard and Crowd Controller licence holders must hold a current first aid certificate in order to perform licensed work. 

Renewals of these licences will not be accepted if a current first aid certificate is not held by the licence holder.

Licensing Update – 19 November 2021


Between 19 November 2021 and 30 June 2022, individuals who previously held Security Officer or Crowd Controller licences which expired within the last 5 years, will be able to utilise their previous superseded Certificate II in Security Operations training qualifications to obtain new licences. There will be no requirement to complete the competency testing process in this instance.

It will be incumbent on employers of individuals who obtain licences under the above criteria, to ensure they are provided guidance and instruction on changes to industry operating requirements since they last held a licence.

Applicants will still need to pass all other licensing eligibility criteria and must hold a current first aid certificate.

Please note: this process involves the submission of a new application for assessment. The previous licences cannot be renewed as expired licences are unable to be renewed under the legislation.

Licensing Update – 13 January 2021


You must advise Licensing Services, at the following email address, of the details of any companies engaged to perform licensed work on behalf of your business:

Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) for Crowd Controllers

It is not a requirement for a person to be RSA trained to apply for or be issued a Crowd Controller's Licence with Licensing Services and this will not change after 1/7/2018. There is no requirement in the Security and Related Activities (Control) Act 1996 for a Crowd Controller to be RSA trained.

The requirement is due to changes to the Liquor Control Regulations 1989 which is not administered by Licensing Services. The change will make it necessary for a Crowd Controller working in licensed premises to be RSA trained. A Crowd Controller who does not work in licensed premises does not need to be RSA trained.

You should direct any further enquiries to Racing, Gaming and Liquor (08 6551 4888) within the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries as they administer the Liquor Control Regulations.

Security Officer and Crowd Controller Licence applicants SAIWA Test

From 1 February 2017, due to amendments to the Security and Related Activities (Control) Regulations 1997, all applicants for Security Officer and/or Crowd Controller Licences, must have successfully completed a written examination based on the content of their training course before submitting their application.

This requirement does not apply to applicants whose licence/s expired within the last 12 months and provide their old training certificates plus a letter from their employer to confirm they have worked in the capacity of a Security Officer and/or Crowd Controller within the past year. It also does not apply to applicants for Security Officer – Control Room/Monitoring Centre only.

Metropolitan Applicants:

The test will be undertaken at the office of the Security Agents Institute of Western Australia (SAIWA). For testing purposes, metropolitan extends south to Mandurah, north to Yanchep and east to Northam.

Please visit the SAIWA website to make test payment and bookings.
Students have 6 months from the date of passing the test to submit their licence application.

Country Applicants:

The test can be taken at the following Regional Police Centres only: Albany, Broome, Bunbury, Exmouth, Geraldton, Kalgoorlie, Karratha, Kununurra and South Hedland. In the first instance, payment must be made on the SAIWA website. Applicants then attend their Regional Police Centre where proof of payment and identification is checked before the test is taken. Contact your Regional Police Centre to book a time to attend to sit the test.

Please visit the SAIWA website to make test payment and bookings.
Students have 6 months from the date of passing the test to submit their licence application.

For all licensing queries call Licensing Services Security on 1300 171 011.

Contact us

Licensing Services (Security)
303 Sevenoaks Street
Cannington WA 6107

Postal Address:
Locked Bag 9
East Perth WA 6892

Tel: 1300 171 011
Email Licensing Services (Security)

Contact your nearest police station

Opening hours:
Monday – Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm (Closed Public Holidays).

Please note:

  • The office will not open until 9am on the first Wednesday of every month.
  • New applications are not accepted after 3.15pm and renewals are not accepted after 3.30pm due to time taken to process applications.
  • Tests cannot be taken after 2:30pm. Maximum time allowed for completion of the test is 60 minutes.