Arrest after evade police incident
During the afternoon of Saturday 18 November 2023, a Hyundai Accent sedan was stolen during a burglary from a home in Maddington.
About 8.15pm on 19 November 2023, police sighted the Hyundai Accent sedan on King Street in Gosnells. Officers activated their emergency lights and sirens in an attempt to stop the vehicle but it will be alleged the driver failed to stop and continued driving, through the suburbs of Gosnells, Maddington and Kenwick.
It will be further alleged as the stolen vehicle reached the intersection of Tonkin Highway and Champion Drive in Champion Lakes where several other vehicles were stationary at the red traffic control lights, and as the driver attempted to squeeze past a Ford Territory, he collided heavily with the driver’s side causing extensive damage to the Hyundai Accent sedan which caused it to come to a stop.
The driver allegedly ran from the vehicle across Tonkin Highway into bush area, where he was located and arrested by police.
The 36-year-old man from Gosnells has been charged with:
• Steal Motor Vehicle and Drive Recklessly;
• Driver of a vehicle failed to comply with a Direction to Stop (circumstance of aggravation);
• Reckless Driving to Escape Pursuit by Police;
• Driver Fail to Stop - property damage;
• No Authority to Drive - suspended (other than fines suspension); and
• Breached a Family Violence Restraining Order.
He is due to appear before the Armadale Magistrates Court today, 20 November 2023.