WA Police Force Pipe Band
Formed in 1966, the Western Australia Police Pipe Band proudly serves the whole community of Western Australia and are the current Australian Grade 1 Champions. They are held in highest regard not only in Australia, but all around the world for their ability to perform ceremonial duties as well as deliver outstanding traditional and contemporary musical performances for the whole community.
The Band provides a proactive image and perform an excellent community engagement role for the WA Police Force, helping to show a different side of policing to the community by using the power of music and positive interaction.
In addition to WA Police Force ceremonial duties, the band also perform at around 240 community engagements throughout WA, and in addition to social media, TV and radio figures, they directly perform in front of over 1 million members of the community each year.
They also run a highly successful schools and youth interaction program, performing to over 40 primary schools around the State annually.
Band officers perform a dual role for the agency by also working at various local police stations, mounted, dog squad, prosecuting, recruiting and other specialist units two day per week, providing direct support to our Frontline.
The band occasionally travels around the state and interstate and all funds for these endeavours are raised by the band member’s in their own time, so attendance can be achieved at little to no cost to the Government or to the WA Police Force. All required funds are facilitated by the band’s Supporter’s Association and their successful ‘Friends of the Band’ program.
A brief overview of the some of the events the band attend each year are:
- Emergency Services and Armed Forces Graduation Ceremonies
- Police Legacy, Constable Care and PCYC’s events
- Federal and State Government ceremonies
- Charity events such as City to Surf, HBF Fun Run, MS Bike Rides, HeadWest Brain Trauma etc.
- Street parades such as ANZAC Day, Christmas Pageant, Pride Parade etc.
- Various street and community Festivals
- Schools and Youth awareness programmes
- Community Engagement street concerts
- Metropolitan and Regional concerts and parades
- Australia Surf Life Saving awards and ceremonies
- Various large scale sporting events
- Multicultural celebrations such as Australia Day, NAIDOC, St Patrick Day, St Andrew’s Day, Chinese New Year etc.