Volunteer National Police Certificate Frequently Asked Questions

National Police Certificates

Q: Who can apply for a VNPC?

Applications for a VNPC can only be made by eligible volunteers through a registered volunteer organisation.

Eligible volunteers:

  • Receive no payment for work (except out of pocket expenses); and
  • Perform volunteer work which provides a community service and not as part of obligated work placement (e.g. student placement, work experience, “Work for the Dole”)

Q: My volunteer organisation is not registered, can I submit a check on my own?

No. A volunteer check can only be submitted through a registered volunteer organisation.

To register for the program, Volunteer Organisations must:

  • be incorporated, or have relevant legal status if a non-government group;
  • provide a community service;
  • be a parent body, not a sub-branch with volunteers working within Western Australia*; and
  • utilise eligible volunteers as described above.

*If a volunteer group is part of an organisation with a number of branches throughout WA (churches, service organisations, sporting clubs, etc.) then only the central office should register.

If a national organisation has volunteers working within Western Australia, it may register for the program to undertake checks for those Western Australian volunteers.

If you believe your organisation meets the eligibility criteria above, please visit the Department of Communities to complete the registration form.

Once registered, the Department of Communities will provide you with a registration code. The WA Police Force will contact your organisation to provide you with the VNPC welcome pack, this includes the VNPC consent form and an instructional guide for the program.

Q: How much will the VNPC cost?

Current fees can be viewed here.

Volunteer Agencies will be billed monthly by the WA Police Force.

Q: What ID is required to apply?

Applicants must provide proof of identity to the volunteer organisation. At a minimum, the ID check requires one primary document and one secondary document, either of which contains a photograph.

Alternatively, three secondary documents can be accepted providing at least one document contains a photograph.

Applicants must provide original documents. The table below provides a guide to acceptable documents.

Primary ID documents
Full Australian Birth Certificate
Australian Citizenship Certificate
Australian Passport (current or expired within last 2 years)
International Passport
Registration of Descent
Secondary ID documents
Licence or Permit issued under Australia Law
(Includes Australian Learner’s Permit & Drivers Licence, Australian Firearms Licences or similar)
WA photo Card / Proof of Age Card
Working with Children’s Card
Dangerous Goods Security Card
State or Federal Government Employee Photo ID
Centrelink or Social Security Card
Dept. of Veteran's Affairs Card
Centrelink or Social Security Card
Tertiary Education Institution Photo ID
Australian Learner's Permit
Medicare Card
Health Care Card
Property Lease or Rental Agreement
Council or Shire rates notice
Motor vehicle Registration or Insurance
Professional or Trade association Card
Debit or Credit card's (bankcard, ATM card, visa card, mastercard, etc)
Passbook or Statement from Financial Institution
Utilities bill (power / phone / mobile / water / gas)
Property insurance papers

A change of name document, such as Marriage Certificate, Divorce Papers, Change of Name Certificate, is required if your ID is in multiple names.

Q: How long will it take for my VNPC to be processed?

For applications that require no further investigation, a VNPC should be received by the volunteer organisation within 6 business days, depending on postage times.

Applications requiring further investigation may take up to 10 business days to process, please allow an additional 3 – 6 days for postage. Reasons for further investigation may include confirmation of identity (e.g. a common surname), licences or permits and other information regarding contact with the police.

Q: What is included on a VNPC?

A Volunteer National Police Certificate lists disclosable court outcomes and pending charges from all police jurisdictions, this will include traffic, certain juvenile convictions and non-police prosecuted matters. The certificate will not include any restricted court outcomes, such as spent convictions.

Q: Will any eligible convictions be spent prior to the VNPC being issued?

No. The VNPC does not include an applications to spend convictions.

Individuals should apply to spend eligible convictions prior to submitting a VNPC application.

For more information please visit the Spending a Conviction page.

Q: Who gets to keep the VNPC?

Although the check is conducted by a volunteer organisation, the certificate is the property of the volunteer.

Q: Can a VNPC be used for paid work or other volunteer positions?

The VNPC is issued for volunteering purposes only and should not be used for paid employment.

If applying to volunteer with another volunteer organisation, the organisation can decide whether to accept the VNPC or request a new application.