Traffic Wardens

Traffic Wardens play an important role in ensuring children get to school safely.

We are currently seeking Traffic Wardens in the following suburbs (as of September 2023):

  • Applecross
  • Ardross
  • Balga
  • Ballajura
  • Banksia Grove
  • Bullsbrook
  • Byford
  • Canning Vale
  • Claremont x3
  • Cloverdale
  • Cottesloe x2
  • Embleton
  • Girrawheen
  • Hilton
  • Kardinya
  • Leederville
  • Leeming
  • Nedlands
  • Ocean Reef 
  • Padbury x2
  • Palmyra
  • Parkwood
  • South Perth x3
  • Warwick
  • Wembley x3
  • Wembley Downs x3
  • Willetton

Apply to be a Traffic Warden 

Application Packages
Traffic Warden Application Package

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become a Traffic Warden and what do I need?
To become a Traffic Warden, we require you have access to email, a full driving licence with access to a vehicle, and be able to work the full 10 shifts per week. The shifts will be an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. Initially you would (usually) be a relief Traffic Warden covering at various crossings within a 10km radius of your home. 

Once you submit your application we will pass it to the Personal Security Vetting Unit. If they support your application you will then be sent a medical assessment to take to your doctor.  Once you have passed the medical assessment you will be invited to attend a training day.

For further information please call 6274 8731.

If I live in regional Western Australia, how do I become a Traffic Warden and who do I report to?

Please see above information.  However, your training and reporting will be provided by your local police station. 

Is a Traffic Warden employed on a casual or permanent basis?

Casual. Paid fortnightly during school terms only. No sick or annual leave paid.

Do I receive a uniform?

Yes. These are supplied at no cost to you. You are responsible for the cleaning of your uniform as an allowance is paid to you. If your uniform starts looking worn, please contact 6274 8731 or

Do I Get Paid Mileage (Motor Vehicle Allowance – MVA)?

An allowance may be paid at the discretion of the Commissioner of Police. MVA claims should be made in the appropriate section of the Claim for Payment Form. A complete and accurate odometer reading is required to process these claims. Currently mileage is paid after the first 10kms of each shift.

I have changed my address. What do I do?
Advise the Children’s Crossings Unit as soon as possible if you are changing address. Depending on how far you move from your allocated crossing, we may need to relocate you to another crossing.

How often should I check my emails?
You should check your emails on a daily basis. You will receive newsletters, advice of relief locations, etc.

What happens on pupil free days?
Traffic Warden’s still work their usual shifts. If all schools linked to your allocated crossing are closed you may choose to book-off for the day. If so, you need to notify the Children’s Crossings Unit. 

Can I receive gifts from students, parents or schools?
You must not solicit, give or accept gifts or benefits for yourself or any other person, or on behalf of the WA Police Force, unless authorised to do so in accordance with your policy. Contact the Children’s Crossings Unit on 6274 8731 for advice.

What do I do if my flags break or are stolen?
Contact the Children’s Crossings Unit as soon as possible to arrange new flags to be sent to you.

What happens if there is an incident at my crossing?

In most cases you will be required to complete an Incident Report and forward it to the Children’s Crossings Unit to follow up. Full details are in the Traffic Warden Training Manual.

What do I do if I need to go to the toilet during my crossing time?
Traffic Wardens are not allowed to enter school grounds so you will need to prepare for your shift accordingly. 


For further information on becoming a Traffic Warden please contact (08) 6274 8731.